Monday, November 21, 2011

How'd that happen?

 A few weeks ago I was making a glaze test on a large earthenware tile.  I grabbed 5 colors of low fire glazes and quickly painted the following test:


I thought the style and colors of the test seemed somewhat framilar but didn't think much about it.  A couple of weeks later I was using a small, shallow bowl that I mix small amounts of glaze in.  I have never really looked closely at the design in the bottom of this dish, as I'm only interested in it's utility, but when I looked at it I was amazed to see that I'd copied it when I was using it  to create the above test.  Yea, probably just a coincidence.  Is this what all of our creatings in art come down to?: simply imitating the nearest image at hand??

What do you think? 


AND, what is the style of this plastic bowl surface?? No idea where it came from, it is just one of a dozen bowls in ceramics we use to mix glazes and such in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment