Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Assignment # 8, Finishing the quarter


FINISHING UP Fall 2011 Quarter: 


Shown above is my ideal cup: resulting from fired stone, in a natural setting, and with no artifice.  This cup is in the Hindoo drainage.  Photo curtsey of Matt Dahlgreen.  It would be exceedingly difficult to drink from unless you have a straw or were a "bird".  Oh yea, this cup weights several tons

Right now (in Independent Clay Study, 299) I am finishing up the quarter.  I wont’ be forming any new porcelain pieces (Kleiber) and the 10 pieces that go in the next glaze firing (November 17th) will finish off that group.

Although I may make one more JG/earthenware piece before November 18, I don’t plan to start any more of these pieces this quarter.  I will concentrate on finishing the pieces I’ve started and completing “Imari” glaze experiments on the JG.  I want to test the compatibility of black and red Iron oxide, Cobalt Oxide, and Cobalt Carbonate as stains in conjunction with the shop cone 0-6 clear over-glaze.  All 21 pieces of JB will result in some sort of a glaze experiment.  I also plan to use Rachel’s new shop stains.

As an alternative to the "Hindoo cup" here is a cup i made a few quarters ago. Doesn't match up does it.  



Glaze themes include washed stains over hand constructed forms (to enhance the textured clay).  I plan to applying clear 06 glaze over the washed stains.  I’ll how compatible 06 clear glazes are on air washed and dried stains and stains refired to 06 to stabilize them.    I want to reduce smearing of stains onto the over-glazes.   Depending on how the glaze experiments go, I may use stain combinations to get the optimum effect. I also plan to use the Duncan matt glazes I purchased last summer from Tacoma Clay art on the cup or bowl lips.  I won’t have any pictures of how this is going until I get some firing done. 

I also applied the 06 shiny over-glaze to two pieces for Raku firing.  I didn’t use any stains as the unglazed surface will be black, and the glazed surface will retain the white earthenware color. 

This cup gets a bit closer to the "Hindoo Cup", it is certainly lighter by several tons.  And that handle, what was I thinking!!!



I am also preparing for the smoke firing, November 20.  I will fire two jars in the large metal barrel and one 16” jar in a smaller metal dust bin.  I will use shredded paper for fuel.  Two of these jars have cone 06 brown inner glaze which was fired on at the bisque firing which worked well.  I should have pictures of these pieces after November 21.

Here is a "snail pitcher".  It holds about 1/2 cup of liquid.  Although it is functional, I doubt there is any context where I would find a buyer for this piece.  



DRUMS:  I had a short drum critique with David Blink this week on my latest round bottom drum.  We agreed that this is clearly the best drum I’ve constructed to date.  His ideas for this drum is to cut  another hole in the drum body.  I also want to continue to pursue the snare feature but have not found the materials I need to accomplish this needed sub-sound.  The smokers at the middle of campus smoking table inspected the drum (as usual) and “Brandon” played a while on it.  I was impressed with his drumming abilities, he must have some experience.  He didn’t offer me any money for the drum, so it seems like I have more work to do on this design.  I still haven’t gotten my “bounce drum” to David, perhaps I can get it assessed before school is out. 

Here is the drum mentioned above, for your information.  If you want more info, scroll down to the "drum" post, below. 


Well, that's post assignment #8.  I sure hope I get extra credit for it/mh.

No comments:

Post a Comment