Friday, December 2, 2011

T Pots, The Narrow Road to the Deep North

A trip through t pot land - -


This post  get's it inspiration from a title  by Li Po, describing his long foot journey into the deep north of China on the Narrow trail.  I see my painstaking efforts for t-pot perfection much the same way, a long journey with many interesting stops along the way, but perhaps never getting there.  The above pot is a porcelain pot that I tried making with a solid handle.  The pouring spout is unusual.  It has a Shino/Korean Celedon glaze and now resides in our garden, partially covered with snow.  Li Po would have like that!

Several years ago a student in the ceramics class challenged me to make a t-pot in five minutes, one that has as spout, as functional lid, a handle, and actually holds water.  This is the pot I made with Dakota red clay and covered (appropriately) with Tem-Maku glaze.  It is one of my favorite pieces that has come out of my efforts at the YVCC studio.


I want to contrast my "five minute" pot with a pot I purchased at a Japanese tea shop.  This pot is highly functional, precisely made, and there is no doubt that it is a representation of a cat (or possibly a rat??).  But either way,,,


This production t pot is an inspiration to me.  The lid fits perfectly, there is no QUESTION that it holds water and the handle is functional.  I also like the amusing face of the little animal who pours tea through it's puckered up mouth. 

The following pot is one I made in a YVCC class several years ago.  It pays tribute to the "Imari" style of oriental porcelain decoration with the little blue berry/dots on the surface.  This pot is functional and I particularly like the hand-made handle, though that is not a feature that has inspired others.  


The next two t pots were fun to make and interesting to me because I tried different forms, but basically they are impractical, novel, ubitiquous, and somewhat nonsensical.  They are now religated to the garden. 



My t pot form has evolved and I'm not sure that the evolution is forward or backward.  The first of these two pots Rachel called a "Raccoon" because the tail looks like a grumpy raaccoon, so I guess it is a portrait. This pot is 90% functional and 10% abstract sculpture.  The photo is less than ideal, I guess I need a light box. 


And related to the Raccoon is the pot I am submitting to the 2012 Larson show.  It is probably the most marketable pot I have made, a fact that would not impress Li Po in the least, unless I intend to buy beer with the proceeds!


The above pot was photographed with some of Jo Miles fancy photo gear and my  less than fancy camera.  I call this t pot style a "chicken pot" but the reference is't always obvious.

The next pot I want to include with this collection is closer to what I want with a t pot: non functional, somewhat confused, philosophical, and a bit impossible.  A base ball was the inspiration.  I like this pot because it makes a compelling book end. 


And finally, as couple of porcelain t pots with Ron Myers clear glaze, black Iron oxide stains, and attached handles.  The first one is a product of poor photography, a homemade handle, and lots of coils.  Not sure why that bowl is peeking around the corner?   


And finally, a pot that is relatively successful from a practical standpoint.  I like the little "clay ball" feet, but I'm not sure they are the most useful features for a t pot?  You can see a ceramic "elephant set" to the right of this pot and an antique mexican dinner plane to the left, contrasting uses and styles of ceramics.  


There are of course other t pots but how long can this post go on?  Stay tuned for my next post that will review the ceramics I created during the fall, 2011 quarter at the YVCC clay studio.  You can post replies to THAT site suggesting an appropriate letter grade to Rachel, though of course, with all of "extra credit" I'll be getting a solid C!









No comments:

Post a Comment