Thursday, October 20, 2011

FAVORITE ARTISTS (Assignment # 5)


FAVORITE ARTISTS 



I don’t focus on any individual ceramic artist for primary inspiration.  The only artist I pay close attention to is Gabriel Koch who makes large earthenware jars in a variety of forms.  I suppose my jars are as much like hers as anyones, other than unnamed native potters.

Here is a very old native dish. The design has almost faded out and the burnished finished is worn from use.



 I do like the forms of Marina Martinez and I like the primitiveness of her technique.  I look at native pieces when I encounter them and always get ideas.  

This is a pot I constructed from red clay and painted with a slip of Iron oxide and B-mix clay. 



As far as “day to day” influence, the other ceramics students at YVCC offer me more challenges and solutions than all of the well known artists I encounter in Ceramics books and magazines.  The beginners in Rachel’s  (Professor Dorn?) class have a certain direct approach that is often fascinating, inspiring, and baffling.  I look at the pieces on the glaze shelves and watch the student work when it comes out of the kiln.  An example of this influence is Katlin’s lettering and surface direction, Jo’s ability to work with larger pieces, and the technical thought that goes into Les’s work.  Other beginning and advanced students who have helped me define my work or offered criticism and solutions are too numerous to mention. 

This is a large earthenware jar I smoke fired.  The inside is glazed with a low fire iron oxide glaze to help it hold liquids.  This jar is presently at Oak Hollow Gallery.



I’d never really considered studying any individual ceramic artist.  I get more from the immediate interaction with artists, and Rachel has offered too many suggestions and ideas to count (or even enumerate on).  I do watch a Taos artist’s blog regularly (Soul Speaks or http://www.katecartwright.com/kate_blog/) and read the shop issue of  “Ceramics” monthly magazine, all with interest.  I generally find inspiration in other artistic forms I encounter in the YVCC art department, and the art shows in Larson Gallery are a great place to see what forms, techniques, and materials students are using.  The art shows at Allied Art and Oak Hollow are always interesting, and individual artists, such as mixed media artist Wendy Warren, Lee Ann Reis and Jen Dadagan are always helpful.  All of those influences make up my immediate art community and it’s about all I can handle.

Stay tuned for a posting on "Earthenware jars". 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike, looks like your Kate Cartwright link is incorrect.

    ReplyDelete