Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Assignment #1

ASSIGNMENT #1



  


Clay 299, Fall Quarter, 2011:

Hi, my name is Mike Hiler and I am a student in the YVCC ceramics department.  I enjoy working with functional clay forms such as cups, bowls, drum bodies, and drop spindle whorls, all based from clay slabs.  I prefer working with different clay bodies, experimenting with the shop glazes, and exploring new forms that are suggested by the functional pieces I create.  I feel that my clay forms evolve from multiple constructions and that I don’t understand a form until I have made many pieces from within a format.  Once I find a form that is challenging and compelling I work to explore the range.

This quarter I want to work with Kleiber porcelain clay and experiment with a cone 06 “JG”.  I also have some new cone 06 glazes I want to try on the JG clay.

During this quarter I want to concentrate on the finish of my pieces, particularly T-pots, cups and jars/drum bodies.  I want to produce forms or table ware that are functional , unique and marketable. I need to work on a more concise business model, particularly the on-line aspect of selling in a local market.

For me, successful ceramic forms are a combination of tradition and exploration.  I want pieces that are easy to use, easy to like, and easy to sell.  I would like to include sculptural aspects into my table ware and traditional markers into my spindle whorls and cups.  I want each cup or whorl to be perfect in all utilitarian aspects, simple, direct, and compelling.  Each piece needs to reach out to clients; the form and glaze need to be balanced and complementary, as well as compelling and meaningful.



BATCH 1, Kleiber porcelain/ Cone 10, 25 pounds
- T-pot: 1
- Water Jar or drum body/ Dakota red: 1
- Cups: 8
- Bowls
         - Large/ presentation: 1
         - Medium/ serving: 1
         - Flat/ serving: 1
         - Square bowls: 4
         - Spindle whorls if time permits: 10

Once I have 25 pounds of Kleiber in the bisque kiln I plan to switch over and work with the 25 pound bag of JG that I received from Clay Art. I want to concentrate on new forms and sculpture with the 06 clay but make enough kitchen ware to assess its functionality and to test 06 glazes and cobalt stains.

BATCH 2: JG/ Cone 06, approx. 25 pounds
-       Spindle whorls: 20
-       Sculpture pieces: 4
-       Square bowls: 4
-       Cups: 4
-       Small T-pot
-       Water Jar or drum body, Dakota Red: 1

If I finish the JG before the quarter is over, I will finish up with Kleiber porcelain, listed below

BATCH 3, Kleiber porcelain/ Cone 10, 25 pounds
- T-pot: 1
- Water Jar or drum body/ Dakota red: 1
- Cups: 8
- Bowls
         - Large/ presentation: 1
         - Medium/ serving: 1
         - Flat/ serving: 1
         - Square bowls: 4
         - Spindle whorls if time and clay permits



NOTES:
1.   Continue with iron oxide washes on bisque.
2.   Work on portraits, masks, and human figures.
3.   Continue to work on t-pot forms including “organic” pots, the traditional “pot” shapes, handles, spouts, lids, and forms.
4.   Experiment with cobalt on bare porcelain and JG clays, and, under clear glazes.  Work toward an integrated surface and single (or simple) color design elements and patterns.
5.   Pinch bottom, stained surface over burlap texture.
6.   Smoothing surface treatments (sand paper on bisque, burnishing, added textures)
7.   Take notes on things to work on Spring/2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment